While digital marketing is always evolving, one thing remains constant:
The importance of word of mouth.
In the old days, word of mouth was quite literally done by the exchange of words coming out of people’s mouths over casual chit-chats.
Those conversations about businesses still happen IRL, but have largely moved online.
Think about it – wouldn’t you rather trust a recommendation from a friend or family over a branded commercial?
In fact, people trust other people more than they could ever trust a brand or its ads.
There are many online review stats that prove this point:
- 91% of consumers say that positive reviews make them more likely to use a business.
- 82% of consumers read online reviews for local businesses.
- 76% trust online reviews as much as recommendations from family and friends.
- The average consumer reads 10 reviews before feeling able to trust a business.
So, without a doubt, more (and better) online customer reviews can make all the difference.
It may seem daunting at first, but garnering more reviews for your local business isn’t as hard as you might think.
Just try the following eight techniques.
1. Collect Email Addresses During Billing
2. Use In-Store Placards to Encourage Reviews
3. Verbally Mention How Much You’d Appreciate Honest Feedback
4. Include Review Reminders on Your Website
5. Incentivise the Process
6. Leverage Social Media
7. Thoughtfully Respond to All Reviews
8. Delight Your Customers with a Great Experience